Trademark in Egypt
Egypt issued the law No.82 of 2002 on the protection of intellectual property rights and its executive regulations issued by a Resolution of the Prime Ministerial No. 1366 of 2003 and issuing the executive regulations for Book One, Two and Four of the law, and decree No. 2202 of 2006 on the Amendment of some provisions of the executive regulations for Book Three of the Law on The Protection of Intellectual Property Rights which cancelled the law No. 57 of 1939 for trademarks and trade statements and law No. 132 of 1949 for Patents and Industrial Designs, and law No. 354 of 1954 for copyright protection. In order to protect trademarks and facilitate the registration of the marks of establishments and companies and others, Egypt joined on July 01, 1951 the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property, on March 05, 1951 the Madrid Agreement for the international registration of marks, on July 01, 1952 the Special Madrid Agreement for the Repression of False or Deceptive Indications of Source on Goods, on July 01, 1952 the Hague Agreement concerning the international deposit of industrial designs and models, on July 01, 1952 the Convention of the Law of Trademarks in Geneva. It has also joined the Nairobi Treaty on the Protection of the Olympic Symbol on October 1, 1982, the Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization on April 21, 1975 and finally the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) on June 30, 1995 Annex 1C to the Agreement establishing the World Trade Organization.
- Filing System: Multi-Class Filing System.
- Registrables: trademarks, service marks, collective marks, colour marks.
- Time from filing to registration: 2 years.
- Protection (registration) duration: 10 years from filing date.
- Examination type: formal and substantive examination.
- Examination time: 20 months.
- Publications: in the Official Gazette after acceptance., in the Official Gazette after registration.
- Opposition period: 60 days.
- Time limit to pay publication fees after acceptance: 6 months.
- Renewal duration: 10 years.
- Method of conducting the search: official search only.
- POA, legalized
- Certificate of incorporation, legalized
- A general POA may be used for subsequent filings
- All documents may be submitted within 6 months from filing date